CompatibleOne has some online documentation that discusses running a first VM within OpenStack. So, we want to setup OpenStack using our Digital Ocean account.
We selected the OpenStack 3-Node Architecture consisting of a Controller, Network, and Compute node.
- All Nodes. CentOS 6.5 x64.
- Controller Node. 2GB Ram, 40GB SSD Disk, Private Networking.
- Network Node. 512MB Ram, 20GB SSD Disk, Private Networking.
- Compute Node. 2GB Ram, 40GB SSD Disk, Private Networking.
Prior to doing anything else, perform these steps:
- Create local SSH group and a local user. We created group
l.abruce. We made
l.abrucea member of
users, wheel, ssh-usersgroups.
/etc/sudoers. We used the easiest option of
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL.
rootlogin. We modified
/etc/ssh/sshd_configwith the following:
# 9-MAY-14, ABr AllowGroups ssh-users PermitRootLogin no
Be sure to verify that you can login after you use
service sshd restart🙂
OpenStack configuration guide assumes
eth1 is Management,
eth2 is Instance Tunnels, and
eth3 is external. Digital Ocean only gives you two NICs:
eth1 is your external interface and
eth2 is your private interface. So we will lose the IP address for
eth2 and use sub-interfaces for each network. No need for a VLAN!